Google recently announced Android 14 alongside the Google Pixel 8 Series and the Pixel Watch 2. There are many improvements coming to the camera and also to the calling screen and proofread Google Keyboard on Android 14.
Another major improvement for Google Keyboard, instant messaging and quick responses, necessary for efficient spelling and grammar checks on mobile devices, have never been more essential. Android’s 14 AI-powered call screens and Google Keyboard are rolling out to select users and will be available to everyone in the coming months.
Google optimized call screen for Android 14
This feature was recently introduced, which shows the screen of incoming calls before answering them. It works directly on the device, without relying on Wi-Fi or mobile data. Under the hood, it uses Google Assistant using Call Screen to generate calling minutes from the carrier.
How does the call screen work?
This feature is quite useful as it allows users to choose from several suggested answers.
- The call screen determines whether a call is screened. You can save the number if you want to save it as a contact. The company’s massive database can detect and identify robocalls and spam calls, but not all of these calls can be detected.
- Call Screening does not store call information in Google accounts or elsewhere. If you use call forwarding, automatic call screening will not work because screen calls cannot be forwarded. Call screens may not always provide accurate transcripts of the caller’s response.
Features of the Android call screen
The company provides two ways of call screen: automatic call screen and manual call screen.
- Automatic Call Screening: This feature is available on all Pixel devices in the US.
- Manual Call Screening: This feature is available in several countries including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Spain, UK and US. To use this feature, SIM cards from countries where call screening is available are required.
- You can also adjust the level of protection and choose how to handle different types of calls.
This helps you identify incoming calls, reducing interruptions with added control over call management through automatic and manual screening. There are downsides, however, as it doesn’t always deliver perfectly accurate call transcriptions and is limited to Pixel phones, which may only be available to some users.
How to use the automatic call screen
Before using this feature, make sure you have updated your phone app to the latest version.
- Open the Phone app, then tap More at the top to open Settings.
- Go to ‘Spam & Call Screening’, which will ask you to verify that ‘View Caller & Spam ID’ is enabled.
- Then select ‘Call Screening’ and then choose ‘Auto Screen’ for Unknown Call Screening or ‘Auto Screen’ depending on your preference.
- Automatically screen calls: Activating this option will reject robocalls, allowing the Google Assistant to handle incoming calls. Users will receive a silent notification that says “Screening an unknown call” when the call is being screened.
- Manual Screen: Allows users to use Screen Call when someone manually calls you. The call is then handled by asking who is calling and why. Users receive a real-time transcription of the caller’s responses.
- Optionally, you can also enable “Save Call Screen Audio” to save the audio of screened calls.
Google has further optimized this feature as this tool could revolutionize call screening. Google Assistant’s ability to make users aware of Call Screen is a remarkable tool.
Google keyboard proofreading
The company’s Keyboard has announced an AI-powered proofreading feature, which will soon be available to everyone in the coming months.
If you’d like to try out GBoard’s AI proofreading feature, you can join the Gboard Testing Group by visiting GBoard from the Google Play Store and clicking “Join the Beta.” After you join, update your app to the latest version.
Users can also sideload the GBoard onto their Android device to start using it. This feature is currently being rolled out as an incremental update and can be found as a new button in your GBoard toolbar.
Features of Google keyboard proofreading
Some of the features of the AI-powered GBoard include error correction, adjustments, and feedback mechanisms, which encourage users to improve and refine future iterations while recognizing the evolving nature of language. Furthermore, it improves the correction process, reducing the time spent on manual editing. Not only this, but it also accommodates individual preferences, allowing users to make acceptable corrections.
However, it is not available to everyone and is available in batches. Moreover, confirmation on an equivalent feature for the iOS version of GBoard is yet to come, which will require patience for iOS users.
These new AI capabilities with Android 14 will soon be available to everyone and help users accurately. Such features, including AI proofreading, are emerging as valuable assets, streamlining the texting experience and enabling more accurate, efficient and customized communications. Users can expect an even more seamless mobile communications experience as Google evolves.
🌟 Do you have any burning questions about the Photo Enhancer app? Do you need some extra help with AI tools or something else?
💡 Feel free to send an email to Romeshwar, our expert at OpenAIMaster. Send your questions to email@example.com and Romeshwar will be happy to help you!